Valencia Schedule 2019 Final.pdf
ISU on the Mediterranean
Summer in Valencia, Spain
The ISU on the Mediterranean summer program will take place in the sunny coastal city of Valencia, Spain. Valencia is a part of Spain's world-renowned Costa Blanca (White Coast)--a coastal community with wide stretches of white sandy beaches surrounded by mountainous terrain and green orchards that provides an exceptional location for a summer program. Valencia offers thriving industries that include tourism, citrus fruits, garden produce, manufacturing, shipping and fishing. The city boasts a natural harbor, a stunning sailing pastime, major festivals, and a special urban life mixed with the laid-back living of the Mediterranean. Valencia also is known for a wide variety of entertainment possibilities, including a lively night life, spectacular beaches and numerous water sports which you may experience first hand during your stay. Valencia's major train stations and airport allow students easy access to destinations throughout Spain and Europe.
This LAS Summer program is a 6 week program held at Universidad de Valencia. Courses are taught in both Spanish and English.
- 2.5 GPA
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior classification are welcome to apply!
Students participating on this program can earn 6-9* credits (*there is an additional cost for 9 credits).
Use the document Valencia Schedule 2019 Final.pdf to complete the Course Selection questionnaire to help us determine if classes will be offered this summer.
Courses offered include:
- Spanish (100-500 levels, see below),
- BIOL 394: International Programs in Biology with Field Work and/or Lab Work
- ECON 353: Money, Banking and Financial Institutions (1st half term face-to-face, 2nd half term online in English; for ISU credit)
- MKT 448: International Marketing (1st half term in English; for ISU credit offered from 10:50am to 12:20pm)
- *MGMT 370: Management of Organizations (2nd half term in English; for ISU credit)
- IE 305: Engineering Economic Analysis (online for ISU credit with local TA in Valencia; can be used as FIN 301 in some cases).
All courses are for students participating in this program.
*Please note that MGMT 370 will be open to 2 categories of students:
1. Students who have been accepted into the professional program;
2. Students who are currently still pre-business but who will complete all the required classes to enter the business program by the end of Spring 2019 semester.
- Beginning Intensive Spanish
- Intermediate Intensive Spanish
- Spanish Conversation
- Spanish for Professionals
- Spanish Civilization & Culture
- Spain Today
- Introduction to Translation
- Spanish Phonology
- SPAN 490: Independent Study (requires approval of Program Director)
- SPAN 499: Internship in Spanish (requires approval of WLC & Program Director)
COST AND FINANCIAL AID
Budget information is available by clicking here. Please note that ISUAbroad budget sheets do not allow for the reflection of different rates of ISU tuition by major.
Program fee includes home stay with a Spanish family (with another ISU student; single room by request only), University of Valencia instruction, class space, and management; 3-day guided tour of Madrid; 2-day guided tour of Toledo, El Escorial, Segovia; roundtrip bus transportation from Madrid to Valencia and on all required excursions; museum and historical site visits; pre-departure sessions and materials.
Please see the budget sheet notes for more detailed information about expenses.
Participants may be able to apply their financial aid packages to this program and should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for further information.
There will be at least 15 scholarships available for this summer's program participants ($500 each). Click here to apply.
Scholarship information can be found here:
Scholarships and Fellowships for International Study
ISU Financial Aid
All participants in this program will be automatically enrolled in CISI, an international health insurance and emergency service plan. This insurance plan is required for all undergraduate and graduate students participating in ISU study abroad programs. The cost of the plan is $1.31 per day, and it has been built into the cost of the program fee. More information is available at the links below:
CISI Participant FAQ
International Insurance 101
CISI Policy Information
The application deadline for this Summer program is March 1st, 2019. Accepted participants will be notified on a rolling basis upon submission of completed application. Once you are accepted to participate, you must either commit to or decline your offer in the ISUAbroad online application system. Those students who commit to participate are officially part of the program and will be responsible for all program costs listed on the ISUAbroad budget sheet. If you withdraw, you will be responsible for the withdrawal penalty outlined below, in addition to all non-recoverable program payments the college is obligated to make on your behalf. Appeals are possible in certain extenuating circumstances, such as family or medical emergencies. Charges will be applied to your U-bill.
|31-60 days prior to program start date
|1-30 days prior
|Start date or after
||Full study abroad program fee
Dr. Chad Gasta
3102B Pearson Hall
LAS Study Abroad Adviser
Dr. Ginger Nally
LAS study abroad website: https://abroad.las.iastate.edu/
For more information visit: www.language.iastate.edu/valencia/