In order to encourage participation in international learning experiences, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers its full-time undergraduate students partial scholarships to help defray the costs of international study.
The following scholarships are available:
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Study Abroad Scholarship (general)
- LAS International Scholarship
- Trudy Huskamp and Gary Peterson Study Abroad Scholarship (generally goes to semester or academic year study abroad participants)
- Gary L and Margaret W Krull International Scholarship (gives priority to Iowa residents and Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication majors and minors)
- Gittla Murphy Study Abroad Scholarship (gives priority to Women's Studies majors and minors)
- Gerhard Sandburg Scholarship (gives priority to students with financial need who are juniors or seniors at the time of study abroad)
- Mapleton Travel Scholarship (gives priority to students who have NOT studied abroad from small towns or rural areas)
One application qualifies a student for any and all scholarships for which they are eligible. Students are eligible to receive scholarships in multiple years. Eligibility requirements include:
Second semester freshman standing (or above) with a declared major in a discipline in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Cumulative GPA of 2.5
Priority will be given to
- students whose primary major is in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- students who will be participating in ISU sponsored programs
Students studying on non-ISU and/or affiliate programs are also encouraged to apply.
- students studying abroad for a semester or more
Amount of award is $500-1000 depending on availability of funds and duration of the international program of study. NEW in Summer 2018: Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean's High Impact Awards. $1,000 to $2,500. To qualify, include in your essay how you expect your study abroad, service-learning, research or internship abroad this summer to impact your academic and/or professional career. Please mention the Dean's High Impact Award in your essay. Ten to twelve of these awards will be given out this year.
Scholarship application deadlines are November 1 for spring and spring break/winter break programs; and March 1 for summer, fall and academic-year programs. Applications must be submitted electronically through ISUAbroad. Only complete applications will be considered.
Students are eligible to receive scholarships in multiple years.
Questions? Contact Nancy T. Guthrie , (515) 294-1162 at email@example.com or Mary Ullestad-Heneke, (515) 294-4841 at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more scholarship opportunities, please see the Study Abroad Center's Scholarship page.